Golf.com crowned north Florida the “Golf Capital of Florida,” in no small part because of some of the extraordinary courses located in the St. Augustine and Jacksonville areas.
Here are five golf courses that make northeast Florida a “golf mecca”:
1. TPC Sawgrass – Located in Ponte Vedra and annual host of The Players Championship, TPC is the home of the Valley Course and the Stadium Course, known as one of the most difficult golf courses in the world. The remarkable design of the Stadium Course (created in 1981 on the back of a napkin) is full of strategic challenges, including reachable par-5s, turf-covered spectator mounds and lots of water. Both courses are worth the pilgrimage to the Jacksonville area.
2. World Golf Village – World-renowned for two famous courses and as home to the World Golf Hall of Fame, World Golf Village features the Slammer & Squire (named for Sam Snead and Gene Sarazen), which features wide fairways, nuanced greens, and plenty of water along with spectacular views of the World Golf Hall of Fame, and the challenging King & Bear (co-designed by Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer), a “driver’s course” with “the wide fairways of Nicklaus and the fast greens of Palmer.” Arnold Palmer selected short par 4 #15 as one of his “Dream 18” in Sports Illustrated’s Preview to the Ryder Cup 2006.
3. Amelia Island Plantation – This family-friendly resort is known for its exceptional golf (along with other family attractions that are worth investigating). Try Long Point with its ocean side par-3s or Oak Marsh with its mossy Spanish oak trees and wetlands.
4. Ponte Vedra Inn & Club – So exclusive you have to stay at the hotel to enjoy the course, the Ponte Vedra’s Ocean Course is a traditional 1930s design. It would have been the site of the 1939 Ryder Cup, but WWII got in the way. It’s known for one of the first island greens: its tiny par-3 #9. All 14 clubs required for this resort’s two courses.
5. Hammock Beach – The Ocean Course (designed by Jack Nicklaus) runs six holes along the Atlantic Ocean for a remarkable view. The nearby Conservatory Course is known as one of the toughest fields in Florida, with its island greens and an 18th hole tee box that sits 100 feet above the fairway.
Written By Troy C. White, Developer La Fontana, a new condo development in St. Augustine, Florida
La Fontana is nestled within The World Golf Village Neighborhoods, the premier golf course community in northeast Florida, offering the ultimate Florida lifestyle. Situated for easy access to historic downtown St. Augustine, beautiful beaches, great shopping and excellent restaurants, La Fontana luxury condos in Florida offers an active lifestyle in a beautiful setting, some with Lakefront views and most with golf course views. These flats are perfect for families, singles, and retirees. Whether looking for a first or new home, a second home, or place to retire, La Fontana is the premier choice.
Interested in writing a guest blog for La Fontana? Send your topic idea to email@example.com.
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. La Fontana makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, current-ness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.